Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bears, Wolves, Bison, and Hot Tubs

So for July 4th this year we took a trip with most of my fam to Yellowstone (Charles, Charee and the boys couldn't come, but they get to spend the summer in San Diego so I felt bad for them only a little.) Usually I would try to write something witty or creative about our trip, but I'm not feeling it today so it will be mostly pictures with my slight commentary (probably better that way I think.) I feel really bad though since I was really lazy about taking pictures while we went around. I just want to go and see what we're going to see and not stop every 10 seconds to take a picture and chronicle it. But then I want to go home and look at pictures of all the cool stuff we saw and did......my vacation time dilemma.

Daddy and Ethan stood next to this (I think it's called the Lower Falls)- I am terribly afraid of heights and there is a pretty steep dropoff right behind them so I decided I would be the photographer that stands back and observes from afar for this pic.

Of course we had to see this- Old Faithful- not too faithful though I have to admit. They give you a range of about 30 minutes where somewhere in there it is supposed to erupt.

Ethan got valuable girl time. We don't have much of that around, but he enjoyed spending his time with the only two girls out the seven boys among the grandkiddies.

We frolicked with these (bison, buffalo - I don't know what they're really called so call them what you will).....actually I learned you don't really want to frolick with these guys. Apparently they can run up to 40 mph- could you picture me trying to run from some bison....me neither...so we gave them their distance.

We saw a lot of this- breathtaking indeed.

I swear this is completely unedited.....I cannot believe how blue the sky was and what a perfect clearing on top of that hill! Yellowstone seriously my favorite outdoor place we've been.

We saw these.

And a couple of these......in a preserve....unfortunately not in Yellowstone.

We came back to the sweet cabin and had a barbecue and s'mores around the firepit.
On the 4th we also chilled in the hot tub on the back deck and watched the fireworks, but of course I was too relaxed to get out of the hot tub to get the camera and take pictures. Good thing Shawna (my sis with the sweetest camera) is around.....I'll just copy all hers.

I think this little crawl space under the stairs was the kids' favorite place to play and hide. I think Ethan spent 80% of the time at the cabin in there.


Andrew would probably been just as good staying here. We have had many a crazy camping experience with Andrew so I haven't really put a teepee out of the realm of possibilities with him in all honesty.

The kiddos loved the bear on the wall. Surprisingly it didn't surprise a single one of them.

We chilled here- I would happily trade our condo for the sweet cabin- although I think the owners wouldn't really deem it a fair trade. :(

1 comment:

Pacers said...

Looks like an awesome trip! What a sweet cabin...I'd trade our two bedroom apartment for it too....