Monday, July 21, 2008

Ward Missionary and Reading

So I was sad a few weeks ago to hear that I was going to be released from my calling as Primary pianist in our ward. In my opinion it was the best calling in the ward for a number of reasons- you get to see all the cute kids, but not deal with any issues like the teachers or chorister, the songs you play are pretty easy, there was not a lot of prep work that had to be done, you can hide behind the piano, it was fun, etc. So I was pretty nervous and a little surprised that my new calling was to be a ward missionary. I think since I have been married all the callings I have served in have had to do with the piano or music so this is definitely way outside my comfort zone.
I'll tie this together in a minute, but on a different note 1 one of my goals that I blogged about a while back was just to read one book this year (which I haven't even started)......I feel a little bad since like everyone I know reads like crazy, but I do read the Ensign faithfully every month and I try to read one conference talk each night.....I absolutely do not mention this to be "holier than thou" in any way, but to make myself feel a little better that I do read something and to lead to the point of this post......the cover article on the Ensign this month is "Sharing the Gospel Using the Internet" and Elder Ballard says, "Perceptions of the Church are established one conversation at a time....Now, may I ask that you join the conversation by participating on the Internet to share the gospel and to explain in simple and clear terms the message of the Restoration....The audiences for these and other new media tools may often be small, but the cumulative effect of thousands of such stories can be great."
In our ward mission meeting we discussed this a little bit and I haven't really done anything about it until today, but I know most of the people that look at my little blog are already familiar with the Church, but I thought since it is such a central part of our family and since it is something I can do as a ward missionary that I would add a link or links each week on the sidebar of my blog to the articles or conference talks or ideas about the Church I am reading currently in hopes that I am doing a little something.

2 comments:

Jilene said...

Hey Candace! I just sent out an e-mail to our hygiene class to tell see if anyone else had blogs. I'm excited to find you & see your cute boys! I can't believe it's already been 2 years. Are you guys still in Utah? What have you been up to? Well, I'm excited to have found your blog & hope you don't mind if I put a link on my page to it. :)

Blake said...

Candace, great post. Hope this approach works out. Glad that you, Meagen and the others are serving as ward missionaries.

-Blake