In the Spring BYU Magazine there was this article O
n Laughter which of course made me laugh or as the author Patrick Madden might suggest it made me titter.....however here is the section that seems most applicable to our weekend in Las Vegas- it's long but funny so stick with it for some tittering. And to see the whole article which I highly suggest go to magazine.byu.edu and click on
On Laughter:
{What is this strange relationship between laughter and misfortune? Where is the border between laughter and pity or worry? When a man trips and falls, is it always funny? Is it funny only if he is not hurt? When I was younger ABC introduced its sports programs with a montage of different athletic events and a narrator highlighting the action with general commentary about “The thrill of victory . . . and the agony of defeat.” And with this line the television showed a ski jumper precariously off balance on his way down the jump; then he falls and flops like a rag doll as he careens over the edge. I always laughed at that, but I wondered if I should. My father has since told me, without citing his sources, “That guy really got hurt,” and I feel almost guilty. What is it then? Disequilibrium? Strange poses? A sigh of relief that it happened to someone else?
At age 12, I am riding on some dirt mounds in a new development of houses near where we live. I’m on a Frankenstein bike that my friend John and I made from salvaged parts. It’s got springs under the vinyl seat and curvy touring-bike handlebars with white, hard plastic grips. I’m standing on the pedals, pumping hard to get up an especially steep mound, my thighs burning, arms taut, pulling back, and all of a sudden the grips come flying off the handlebars, simultaneously (I couldn’t believe it either), and I’m on my back in the dirt, legs tangled, bike on top of me, two white plastic grips still firmly in my grasp}

Now to the point of the post....we went to Vegas for my cousin's wedding. But we got this nice hotel room and were going to go swimming and to a mega buffet (the only gloriousness that comes in a casino), visit one of Andrew's old roommates and otherwise relax and enjoy Mother's Day weekend, but here's the strange connection between laughter and misfortune. I am not complaining, in fact I find it quite funny that our vacation would turn out in this way after making all the plans. But the weekend ended up being "Congratulations on your wedding" and "Happy Mother's Day"----
throw up! Yes our sweet little Hudson boy threw up over and over and over again all the way to Vegas, on the floor of the casino (can you blame him?), all over me, all over himself, all over his carseat.....Then on Saturday Ethan slips a little in the pool and gets a lung full of water which of course brought on coughing which then brought on gagging which then brought on well you get the idea. They had to clear out the whole pool for an hour and a half......so embarrassing.....yet so funny and ironic at the same time. So my moment of landing on my back in the dirt, legs tangled, bike on top of me, two white grips firmly in my grasp turned out to be me crouching over Hudson's carseat, scrubbing furiously, Hudson and Ethan pulling on me, two white baby wipes firmly in my grasp pushing the wipes to their very limit to clean a sick carseat and a sick little guy......even at this moment sitting in my comfy chair typing on my computer all I can do is laugh.....Happy Mother's Day!
2 comments:
Heeheee, I'm so sorry Hudson got so sick!! It was fun to see Ethan and Andrew, we wished we could have seen you and Hudson! I hope he is feeling better and that you all got home ok!!! Happy Mother's Day!
poor boys and you! this post did make me laugh though! I probably would have thrown up as well being in a car with the throw up smell! you're seriously super mom!
Post a Comment