Maybe I should pre-empt (is that a word? okay well I mean introduce) these stories with a short side note. I have a co-worker that came back to work when her son was around 6 months old. At the time she was telling us how her little guy kept getting up at night as if he were hungry, but wouldn't eat but just smile at her. I suggested (half-joking) that he was working her. To which she was so shocked to think that her sweet little baby boy could ever do that. Well if most boys are as similar as I think then she's in for a big surprise when that little guy turns 3! And these three adventures of sweet Ethan and sweet Leela will explain why!
Adventure 1: I have to use fake names in this story because thinking about it as myself makes me gag a little even now. Unassuming mother (let's pretend her name is Handace Caws) is babysitting 3 children besides her own two. Things are a little crazy, but totally manageable. Youngest child we'll call him Geerum is very hungry so Cand- I mean Handace- puts him in a high chair and gives him some puffs to eat. Little Sudson comes up and also wants puffs. Both little guys seem happy and well, but from a corner of the condo she hears laughing (not usually a warning sign). But this laughing is accompanied by sounds of rushing water (definitely a warning sign). So Handace runs in to find the two oldest kids - Halia and Esan - with the cup from the little potty covered in poop in the bathroom sink pouring soap in the cup and swirling the water around in it with the poop! So so so so so so gross. And not only are they playing in it, but they also tried to pour it in the big potty as well and missed! Who gets to clean the mess? Handace. I cannot emphasize enough that this was the sickest, grossest, smelliest experience of my- I mean Handace's- life!
If jam messes were all we had to worry about- the Haws household would be a much more serene place!
Adventure 2: It is a lovely June day and I am visiting and learning to make jewelry with my sister, Shawna. All the kiddos are in the backyard digging in the dirt- extremely exciting if you are 2, 3, 4 years old. Elijah then is curious about the water hose and turns it on. Only the sprayer head is cracked and starts spraying water all over the backyard- including all over the 4 kids. Halia quickly runs up to the door and gets help. So Shawna runs out and turns it off. No problem. The backyard is a little wet so we decided it would be okay to let them play a little in the water. They are jumping and splashing and smiling - good times. I quietly work on my earrings that I am making. Then I look up to take a peek at the kids no less than 2 minutes later to find Halia and Ethan completely buck naked- not even a shred of skivvies to cover their wee little bums- coated in mud. It was as if they had rolled like pigs in the mud. I later asked Halia why she had stripped down to play in the mud to which she replied, "well I didn't want to get mud all over my pretty dress!" Completely logical I have to admit.
Adventure 3: Same day as naked mud roll, but a little later and now at my house. Halia, Ethan and Hudson are playing with blocks and having general toddler/crazy kid fun. So I decide to check my e-mail and see if there was a new Office taped on the computer. I hear a little bit of running (again not usually a warning sign). But then I hear whispering- although kids are not very good at whispering so it was low talking really (absolutely a warning sign every single time). So I run out to the living room to this scene. A circle of blocks on the couch. Leela and Ethan wearing Hudson's bibs. (Halia informs me she is wearing the blue rainbow bib and Ethan is wearing the Thomas bib- thank you Halia). Both L & E are holding spoons. Hudson is looking at me with a half-smile and half-guilty look. So I ask Ethan and Leela to slowly back away from the couch with their hands up. And I find a huge pile inside the circle of blocks. The pile is made of an entire bag of baby Goldfish crackers, half a bag of pretzels including the salt from the bottom of the bag, and a bag of raisins. When said suspects are asked about the pile I am informed that it is soup.....well I guess that explains the bibs and spoons!
When I told my mom about all this at the end of the day all she did was laugh and laugh and laugh....I think that's all you really can do!
No comments:
Post a Comment