Friday, May 23, 2008

Ethan Language Dictionary

So this is not an all-inclusive dictionary, but here are some meanings and translations of common household words and phrases spoken by our beloved wild boy Ethan-

Happy doodoo= Happy birthday; also means candle (candles remind him of birthday cakes so whenever he sees a candle as far as he is concerned a birthday is somewhere close by with a cake)

Doodle= turtle; the doodle also says bibbit bibbit (he has the frog and the turtle mixed up or he got so tired of me saying I didn't know what a turtle says that he just decided the frog was close enough and decided they must say the same thing)

I don't want it! ______(fill in the blank)= anything he doesn't want has to have I don't want it in front with much anger or else it just isn't forceful enough

Itar= guitar; we recently got Guitar Hero so he is obsessed with the itar

My turn!= most often used when some other child has something he wants and he's about to grab it; he knows he's not supposed to just go and grab it so he thinks it's okay if he declares it's his turn first and then takes it as if the other child should all of a sudden realize it's totally okay if Ethan takes this from me since he said it was his turn

Doodeedee Dora= In the opening song to Dora the Explorer it sings D-D-d-d-Dora and now Ethan can't just say the name Dora, he has to sing Doodeedee Dora

Cheese detzel= cheese pretzels; a household favorite snack Rold Gold Cracker Barrel cheese pretzels yum!

Gaga= has to be taken in context, but can mean Grandma or Grandpa- his favorite people in the entire world

Lahba!= hot lava is coming and you better run and get on something high quick! I think Andrew taught him this game (the ground is hot lava and you have to move around wherever you want to go without touching the ground) and now he will scream and yell "hot lahba's coming" at random intervals throughout the day

Eh?!= a question word that also must be taken in context, but usually means can I do this thing I want to do?; repeated several tens of times during an average day most often associated with jumping on stuff, for example "Eh?!" while pointing to coffee table means "can I jump from the couch to the coffee table?" then when the answer is "no" or "that will hurt" he repeats the question for all the different possible places he could jump from and to (couch to floor, floor to chair, chair to couch, chair to ottoman, ottoman to floor, etc.) until he finds one that I finally say he can do

Aarg book= our new favorite book "Mom Says I Can"; one of the first pages talks about the boy pretending to be a pirate and he says "aaarghh", but I never say it right for him and he always corrects me and says "no mama aaarrrggghhh!!" and I try again.....then he corrects me again because apparently I haven't gotten the right inflection yet....this goes on until he just gives up!

I am sure there are many other words and phrases that should be included since he says stuff during the day that I flat out don't know what he means, but this list would probably get your average person into Ethan's inner circle of friends :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He did this "eh?!" thing to me today. He wanted to jump off the steps on the back porch and he of course started by asking about the highest step. Most of my attention was on the barbecue so I didn't really think about it, but finally said yes on the lowest step. He was happy and immediately climbed up there and jumped off. It was soooo funny.

Megan said...

That is so cute...He's a good communicator, and good that you can understand him!!