Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

What better way for me to celebrate Mother's Day for myself, but to type out some of my favorite mother moment highlights of recent......

-Yesterday morning I woke up to go workout and Ethan crawled into my bed as I was leaving so when I left this is what I saw: Ethan and Hudson both were sleeping with their hands up by their heads and Andrew was pushed all the way to his edge of the bed. Also note that Hudson is the smallest on the bed, but he has the largest portion of it!



-Our current church time is 1 pm and about the worst time for toddlers who nap.....Ethan won't sleep before and he has fallen asleep on occasion during nursery, but usually he just goes and goes as hard and as fast as he can all day. But today at dinner he was nodding off and fell asleep in his high chair at dinner. I think he would have stayed asleep except Andrew, Adam (our friend) and I were laughing so hard and Andrew tried to videotape it and it woke him up. Seriously I wish we could have gotten video because it was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.


-Hudson got the go ahead to start solid foods at his 4 month checkup this week and here are the results -hooray carrots!




- Hudson totally started belly laughing this week. He has been kind of chuckling for a little while, but this week he started laughing for real and will laugh about or at just about everything. I can't believe how different the two boys really are. They both are pretty happy most of the time, but Ethan's happy because he learned how to jump off the top of the couch with no major injuries while Hudson's happy because he has learned how to consistently shove his entire fist in his mouth whenever he wants. Hudson's happy to watch all the fun and laugh at it while Ethan wouldn't be happy unless he was the one trying the craziest idea first.


-I have to get the pictures from Shawna and I'll post them as soon as I do, but I have not seen such apparent joy on any person's face as I did while Ethan tried to run down and catch the ducks at Wheeler Farm yesterday. He ran as fast as he could with the hugest grin on his face while the ducks ran in the opposite direction as fast as they could with utter fright on their faces.


-This morning Andrew asked Ethan if today was Mother's Day and if they should be nice to me today and Ethan look bewildered, shrugged his shoulders and said "I don't sink (think) so."


-My mom bought this book for Ethan. I actually saw it a month or so ago, but left my wallet in the car so I didn't buy it that day. So yeah I showed it to my mom and she bought it for Ethan. It became an instant favorite. The first time I saw it it was so like Ethan it was amazing and I am glad we got it right before mother's day because it was fun to sit and read it again and again with him today. I love how this book captures little wild boys so well.....most of the time Ethan is off on his adventures and runs around with reckless abandon, but I know he still hasn't outgrown wanting to cuddle if even for just a few moments.

I admit freely and openly there are many times when I think I might lose my mind and I lose patience, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I saw an episode once of Everybody Loves Raymond (okay okay maybe I watch the reruns on TBS everyday) where Amy came in to the family to have dinner for the first time to experience the craziness of the Barone family and has a complete dazed look on her face after a night of craziness. Deborah looks at Amy and says, "I almost forget what a freak show it is around here until someone new comes in and gives us a look like that" and it reminded me a little of our household. If none of that made sense just skip over the whole thing, but the point is our house isn't a freak show, but it is pretty wild most of the time and it has become so natural for a 2 year old to be flying through the air at any moment during the day with milk shooting out his mouth and sippee cup while yelling "ahoy" and then landing with a huge thud that I forget that everybody else's house isn't the same. Then when someone new comes to our house and witnesses it and have a laugh or comment on Ethan's boldness I have to remember that it isn't part of everyone's everyday life. I never thought I would be a mom of boys (I grew up with all girls and we were all very girly), but I can say wholeheartedly I wouldn't have it any other way. I absolutely love that Ethan is all boy, I love how he wants to run and jump and splash in puddles and never ever has a clean face or hands (even if I just washed them 5 minutes ago) and I love dressing Hudson in polo shirts and both the boys' baby blue eyes and Hudson's golden hair! I always say that I want at least one little girl, but for now I am utterly content with all blue and letting the rowdy boys lead the pack.

3 comments:

Nichole Bruce said...

I completely agree that boys are incredible CRAZY, but I would also not change it for anything!!
We're going to try to take the boys up to the zoo or the children's museum before the hot summer hits, we should try to go together! Tell Andrew to call Brandon and I'll pester Brandon and maybe together we can make it happen!
Your boys are darling!

Megan said...

As I said at church, I think you're like the star mother of the century. I love reading your blog and hearing all your adventures, and I LOVE Ethan saying, "I don't sink so." I laughed out loud at that.

Julie said...

Hey Candace! How cute all your boys sleeping in your bed. I usually wake up to many more boys in my bed than I started with :) Hey - email me your email address so I can invite you to my blog. julie.blodgett@gmail.com. Thanks!!