Monday, March 31, 2008

Modified Pampered Chef Enchilada Soup

For my bridal shower, my cousin threw me a Pampered Chef party and with it I got a few cookbooks....most of the recipes are pretty good, but I usually modify them in some way. For Hudson's dinner after his baby blessing we did a bunch of soups and this is the recipe for one of the soups. I still need to ask Charee how she makes her chicken curry soup- I think she kind of does it off the top of her head which I think is absolutely amazing! I can barely cook with a recipe, but watch out if I try to freestyle it! This recipe is super simple and quick - I usually have it put together in about 15 minutes and just let it simmer until Andrew walks through the door or we're ready to eat.

Enchilada Soup

1/2 lb 95% lean ground beef
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1 garlic clove, pressed (I usually mince it so a little more garlic makes it in)
2 cans (10 oz. each) enchilada sauce (I use one of the 19 oz cans)
1/4 cup masa harina or all-purpose flour
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans (14 oz) beef broth (I only use one can)
2 cups water (I use salsa instead of water - I really like the Walmart brand black bean and white corn kind in this soup)
1 C thinly sliced zucchini ( I chop it up and use a whole zucchini)
1/4 C snipped fresh cilantro
1 lime

Brown the beef while breaking into crumbles, add bell pepper and garlic. Cook and stir for a couple minutes. Add enchilada sauce, masa harina, beans, broth, and water or salsa. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Add zucchhini and let simmer for as long as you want. I usually let it simmer for about 20 minutes, but the pampered chef recipe doesn 't say to simmer at all. After simmering, remove from heat and add cilantro and lime juice. You can also add jalapeno pepper for a little extra heat and top with cheese.

No comments: